Friday, July 6, 2007

Is Transformers for the transformed?

Focus on the Family's Plugged in Review <-- good Christian Review of the movie. I agree with his presentation on the moral issues of the film. I was set to write all that, but why waste internet space? Here's a few of my thoughts.

I saw Transformers today. I had mixed feelings about the movie from my nerd side to start with. I grew up when Transformers ruled the toy aisles and the afternoon toons, so I like my Transformers old skool (come to my office and I'll introduce you to Optimus Prime and his pals the way they should look). As the movie rumors and info began making news last year I really was disappointed with the choice of director (Michael Bay, his film style gives me a headache in more ways than one) AND with the designs of the robots.

So nerd side and children's minister side (I'm a big guy, I have many sides) had a conversation on the way home from the movie. (My brother was driving and I was holding the tropical fish he bought after the movie... next door at the fish store) Nerd side: Man the effects were cool, I'm not sure the designs were great, but did ya see when Rachet was blowin' up that badguy? OH the effects were some of the best I've ever seen. Honestly! So realistic and natural looking. Children's Minister side: Yeah yeah, realistic? How unrealistic a portrayal of teen relationships, parent relationships and dialog. BLUH. Come on, if you can't make a movie with kids characters without bringing up non kid themes then GET SOME CREATIVITY.

I use Transformers toys as illustrations for Bible stuff with our kids. It's great to use them to talk about Good vs Evil, Hidden talents, Hidden dangers, and that kinda stuff. The good guys battle the badguys in the film, the subtlety of it's great effects shows some hidden talents of the director... but its the hidden dangers of some adult themes that kill it. Would I recommend this movie to my kids? No. A flat no. I hate it say it. The nerd is saying "BUT THE EFFECTS..." But, I can't say "excuse the offensive stuff and take your 10 year old." It's PG-13 for a reason (and I'd hold back the 13 year olds as well).

0 comments: